Donate


Subscribe to this Blog


YMCA Teen Task Force

Wednesday

11/19/08: Rotarians, Teens and the Berkeley Rep


Berkeley Rotary Club – a key supporter of The Teen Task Force – invited us to a special evening at Berkeley Rep to see the play “Yellow Jackets” written by BHS graduate, Itamar Moses. I think they wanted us to get an idea of how Berkeley was back in the early 90’s – when the play takes place – so we could compare it to how things are today.

We’ve been working so hard on Teen Center project and it’s been quite a journey but we’re still not finished yet. I thought a field trip with some “down time” was just the thing we needed to keep positive and focused.

Our night began with a reception in the Rep’s courtyard, where we had refreshments and socialized with the Rotarians. The teens attacked the food: how could you not guess? The building was modern and beautiful and the courtyard open and welcoming. Greenery made it feel fresh and relaxing. (More new ideas to think about in terms of adding to our Teen Center.)

Anyways we took our seats and I browsed through the program to get a better feel for the play. Then it started with the flickering of lights and kids fighting. “Even back in the 90’s kids were fighting” I whispered to my neighbor.

I laughed from beginning to end because there really wasn’t that much of a difference from when I was in high school: same old fights, students talking back to the teachers, and complaints of the Jacket (the school paper) not meeting everyone’s needs.

I learned that there wasn’t much of a difference in Berkeley from then to now. Being a 2008 BHS graduate I’ve seen a lot happen over my 4 years there and most of the things I’ve seen in school I saw again in the play. It was like a flashback from when I was at Berkeley High.

For more information on the Berkeley Rotary Club click here.


For more information on Yellowjackets and Berkeley Repertory click here.