Donate


Subscribe to this Blog


YMCA Teen Task Force

Thursday

03/12/09: Yeah…But Why Me?


Three days after I had dropped off my application for the YMCA Teen Task Force, I received a call from an unknown number. Taken aback but curious, I nervously picked up the phone.

“Hello?”
“Hi, this is Maria calling from the Berkeley-Albany YMCA. Is this Chris there?”
Confused and having a momentary brain fart, I could only stutter a meager reply.
“Uhh. Ye-Yes, this is he.”

Maria then proceeds with a phone screening and by the end, I still was a bit confused by what had just happened. Not to say that I wasn’t attentive, but it was a lot like that for the rest of the interviewing process. Was I seriously about to be hired? Sure enough…no. At least not yet. I was to come in for a second interview. Oh the irony!

Kevin, Viviana, and Dasha were my interviewers and as nervous as I was, I chose to sit in the hot seat. As they questioned me, I questioned myself if I was even doing this right. Well all I could do was just hope for the best and that my answers were adequate.

Once again, I received another call from a more or less, now familiar number. I was informed to come in for a third a final interview with Tracy in a more professional manner and to write a formal résumé. I’ve never written a résumé before so I tried my best to crank one out with my extremely limited experience. On top of feeling unprepared as I felt I was, the BART train came early and I missed my train. Oh boy… They’re never going to hire me now. As my somewhat concise interview with Tracy ended, I had never felt more pessimistic toward anything. I knew they weren’t going to hire me. But sure enough, here I am writing this blog, more than happy to say that I am a new member of the Teen Task Force.

No comments:

Post a Comment