Donate


Subscribe to this Blog


YMCA Teen Task Force

Wednesday

10/21/09: Meet Zoe


I love the YMCA! When I was little, my favorite part of summer was going to Y-Camp. Last year, I decided that I needed a job. So I automatically looked to the YMCA, the source of my childhood fun, as the place to work. I was going to apply for one of the desk jobs, until I heard about the Teen Center Task Force. While I do like greeting people and answering questions, the Teen Center Task Force sounded more like something I’d be interested in being part of. I like doing community service projects that directly impact people, and the Teen Center is a prime example of something that will do just that. Unfortunately, I was told that the Task Force was not able to hire another employee at that time. I was sad, but in the long run it gave me more time for school and other extracurriculars so it was probably a blessing in disguise.

But almost six months later, Tracy called me into her office. I was confused at first, thinking that maybe I had left an old math book or something in her office, but was thrilled when she offered me the position as a Teen Center Task Force Member!

So far, I have attended meetings, met with the Design Review Committee, and toured the future Teen Center. I’ve learned so much already from the importance of an aesthetically consistent building, to the dangers of asbestos. All of the people at the office are so nice, welcoming, and helpful! I’ve also had the chance to meet some of the amazing Brower Youth Award winners, whose environmental activism is truly inspiring! So far, I've had a lot of fun; I can't wait to see what comes next!

No comments:

Post a Comment